Business Green Rewards Card from American Express Review
Business Green Rewards Card from American Express
CardRatings Editor's Analysis: Pros & Cons
- Since it's a charge card, not a credit card, you'll be responsible for paying off your balance each billing cycle with no temptation to carry an interest-accruing balance.
- Earn points with everyday purchases and redeem your rewards for travel, gift cards or even to pay for business expenses.
- No pre-set credit limit means you have the flexibility to make the purchases you need to make. The limit adjusts based on how you use the card and other factors.
- With a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95 annual fee, you should be certain you'll use the perks and features of this card. Otherwise, you may want to look for a business card with a lower or even no annual fee.
Business Green Rewards Card from American Express Essentials
If you're looking to control and track spending for your small business, while earning travel rewards and saving money over the long haul, the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express may be the right card for you. American Express is a CardRatings advertiser.
A traditional charge card, the Business Green Rewards Card has no interest rates, so you save money compared to cards with which you carry a month-to-month balance. With the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express, the balance must be paid in full by the due date each month, so there's no temptation to let a balance slide from one month to the next (accruing interest along the way). .
The card also comes with the ability to earn Membership Rewards® points that can be used toward business expenses whether it's for travel, purchasing gift cards for clients, dining out or simply shopping for office supplies and more at various retailers. You can also get cards for your employees, making it easier to stay on top of how much your employees are spending while also earning more rewards for your business.
New card members can earn 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3,000 within the first three months of card membership.
Here are the some of the perks that come with card ownership:
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95 annual fee. .
- No fee for each employee Business Green Rewards Card from American Express.
- Purchases can be protected from accidental damage or theft for up to 90 days from the time you purchase.
- Car rental loss and damage insurance is included if you use your card to reserve and pay for a car rental and decline the collision damage waiver at the rental car counter.
- With the card's baggage insurance plan, eligible lost, damaged or stolen baggage is covered when your plane, train, ship or bus ticket is purchased on your card.
- Card ownership also offers travel accident insurance, roadside assistance and extended warranties.F
- Earn 100,000 bonus miles when you spend $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
- Earn unlimited 2X miles on every purchase, every day
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®
- Redeem on travel-from vacation rentals to car rentals and more. Plus transfer your miles to over 10+ travel loyalty programs
- No foreign transaction fees
What Our Editors Like Most about the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express
Besides the welcome offer, the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express has a few things our editors really like.
While a charge card like the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express is paid in full each month to help the card owner who doesn't quite trust themselves or their employees to spend responsibly, or simply want to keep their costs down, there is the Pay Over Time feature for some purchases. The Business Green Rewards Card from American Express allows eligible cardholders to enroll this Pay Over Time program to allow certain purchases to be paid over a certain length of time. With this option, on certain purchases you can pay over a certain length of time, choosing to carry a balance. You will accrue interest on these purchases, but it's certainly helpful if you are making a big ticket purchase for your business with this card and just can't quite pay it off in the same month as the purchase.
The card also offers a Pay with Points option when making purchases through American Express Travel to a Membership Rewards® program-enrolled American Express® Card. While purchases like car reservations, non-prepaid hotels and fine hotel and resorts bookings are excluded, the rest is fair game. Those accrued points you have will just be debited from your Membership Rewards® account and credited for the corresponding dollar amount which will be issued to your credit card.
If you travel often for business, the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express provides a lot of extra assistance when traveling, which we like, from protection on lost and stolen baggage, to rental car insurance and its Global Assist hotline when traveling more than 100 miles from home giving you 24/7 access to medical, legal and financial assistance, as well as assistance wiring cash, replacing a lost or stolen passport and more. Plus, you won't pay any foreign transaction fees when traveling abroad.
Potential Downsides of the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express
Spending those Membership Rewards® points isn't particularly straightforward. According to American Express, the value of your Membership Rewards® points varies based on how you use them. Meaning, the number of points required for an item may vary depending on the merchant offering the item and which redemption channel you choose. Points are redeemed through various channels funneling through American Express Membership Rewards®.
How the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express Compares to Other Business Rewards Cards
Business Green Rewards Card from American Express vs. Bank of America® Business Advantage Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card
The Bank of America® Business Advantage Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card isn't a charge card like the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express, and also unlike the American Express card, there is no annual fee. Bank of America® cardholders earn cash back rather than points with their purchases: 3% at gas stations (default), office supply stores, on travel, TV/telecom and wireless, computer services or business consulting; 2% cash back on dining (for the first $50,000 in combined choice category/dining purchases each calendar year 1% thereafter); and 1% cash back on all other purchases. New cardholders can earn a $300 statement credit by making $3,000 in purchases within the first 90 days of card ownership.
Business Green Rewards Card from American Express vs. Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business
Unlike the American Express card, Capital One customers earn cash back, rather than points toward purchases, making it simpler. Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business (This card is not currently available on CardRatings) cardholders earn an unlimited 2 percent cash back on all purchases, which could add up to thousands of dollars to pour back into their business.
Plus, there's also a welcome offer for new cardholders: Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus once you spend $4,500 on purchases within three months from account opening.
Business Green Rewards Card from American Express vs. Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card
Unlike the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express, the Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card has no annual fee and offers cash back deals that are pretty robust. Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card cardholders earn 5 percent back each account anniversary year on the first $25,000 they spend in combined purchases at office supply stores and on cellular phone, landline, internet and cable television services. They also earn 2 percent cash back each account year on up to $25,000 spent at gas stations and restaurants, as well as 1 percent on all other purchases with no limit to the amount they can earn.
Your rewards can be redeemed for cash back, travel or gift cards, making this a fairly flexible rewards card. In addition, you can earn a $500 bonus after making $3,000 in purchases within the first three months – something that should be easy given that new cardholders also enjoy intro 0 percent interest on purchases for the first 12 months (then, 13.24% - 19.24% Variable).
Who Should Get This Card?
The American Express Business Green Rewards Card is great for the small business owner who doesn't quite trust themselves not to carry a large balance and who travels often to take advantage of those Membership Rewards® points. A traditional charge card that does require you to pay in full each month, it does allow for building rewards which can be used toward future business travel.
To see the rates and fees for the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express, please visit the following link: .