For much of 2020, the global COVID-19 pandemic meant travelers were grounded and weekend entertainment options were limited. As people stayed home and their spending habits changed, credit card companies responded with new rewards and perks.
It may be a new year, but many of these new credit card perks are carrying over into 2021, in addition to the cards' already great ongoing rewards. Don't miss your chance to reap extra benefits from the following popular credit cards and credit card programs.
Chase Pay Yourself Back
The Chase Pay Yourself Back program launched in May 2020 to allow Chase Sapphire Reserve® and Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card cardholders to redeem Ultimate Rewards® points at a bonus value for several categories of everyday purchases. Chase, however, later expanded the program to cards in the Freedom and Ink business cards family and announced its intention to make this an ongoing feature.
On its own, the Pay Yourself Back program is a nice option for using points when you're not traveling, but Chase has sweetened the deal by providing a value boost for points used in this way. The eligible categories change and are dependent on the card(s) you hold, so check out the Guide to Chase Pay Yourself Back for details.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® perks for 2021
The Pay Yourself Back program isn't the only extra perk in 2021 for Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card cardholders. In addition to the card's regular benefits, cardholders also get the following rewards which are perfect for those who are eating in and skipping the gym until the pandemic blows over:
- Complimentary subscription to DoorPass, the delivery subscription service from DoorDash (must activate by 12/31/21).
- Up to $60 cash back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership. No fitness equipment is needed to make use of their workout library that includes a variety of class options such as strength, cardio, yoga and more. Offer is good through Dec. 31, 2021.
- Five points per dollar spent on Lyft rides through March 2022.
Chase Sapphire Reserve® perks for 2021
The extra perks in 2021 for the Chase Sapphire Reserve® card are similar to those offered to Chase Sapphire Preferred® cardholders; however, they come with an extra boost in value:
- Complimentary subscription to DoorPass, the delivery subscription service from DoorDash, and up to $60 in statement credits from DoorDash purchases through Dec. 2021.
- Up to $120 cash back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership. No fitness equipment is needed to make use of their workout library that includes a variety of class options such as strength, cardio, yoga and more. Offer is good through Dec. 31, 2021.
- Complimentary Lyft Pink membership and 10 points per dollar spent on Lyft rides through March 2022.
Balance transfer offers for 2021
Early on in the pandemic, we saw card issuers scale back their balance transfer offers. However, heading into the new year, many companies are once again extending attractive balance transfer promotions as well as introductory 0% APR offers for new purchases.
Here are a couple options to consider if you need a low-cost card in 2021:
- Citi® Double Cash Card which offers intro 0% APR for 18 months on balance transfers (then 13.99% – 23.99% (Variable)). Citi is a CardRatings advertiser.
- U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card which offers intro 0% APR for 12 billing cycles on both balance transfers and new purchases (then 14.99% - 23.99%* Variable; See Rates and Fees).
- Citi Rewards+® Card which offers intro 0% APR for 15 months on balance transfers for 15 months from the date of first transfer and on purchases from the date of account opening (then 13.49% - 23.49% (Variable)).
The pandemic isn't over and neither are these great credit card perks listed above. Be sure to take advantage of these offers before they expire, and keep your eyes open for more potential new offers or extensions as we get farther into the new year.