Journey Student Rewards from Capital One review
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
CardRatings Editor's Analysis: Pros & Cons
- Earn a bonus on the cash back you earn each month when you pay on time
- Earn cash back with no annual fee or foreign transaction fees
- Potential to access a higher credit line in as little as six months.
- Students who plan to carry a balance may want to consider a card with a lower APR as this card has a 26.99% (Variable) APR. That said, you can avoid this by paying your balance in full each month.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Journey Student Rewards from Capital One Benefits
- How to Earn with Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
- Journey Student Rewards from Capital One Credit Card Limit
- Journey Student Rewards from Capital One Cardholder Scores
- How the Journey Student Rewards from Capital One Compares to Other Cards
- Is the Journey Student Rewards from Capital One Credit Card a Good Card for Students?
Parents, legislators and consumer advocates have debated the merits of student credit cards, especially after allegations of questionable marketing practices on college campuses. That's why it's great to see how Capital One has promoted its Journey Student Rewards from Capital One credit card as a tool for young Americans to build good financial habits with responsible use. This credit card for students with limited, fair or average credit uses Capital One's features and benefits as incentives to reward responsible saving and spending.
According to research conducted by Auriemma Consulting Group, consumers born after the 1980s tend to rely more on checking account debit cards and on prepaid debit cards instead of on credit cards for daily purchases. They tend to manage money well, but may be missing out on some of the biggest benefits of using credit cards. Journey Student Rewards from Capital One offers MasterCard benefits that include $0 fraud liability if your card is ever lost or stolen. Remember, stolen or lost debit cards can put your cash at risk, at least for a little while.
Like other Capital One credit cards, Journey Student Rewards doesn't charge fees for foreign transactions for international purchases making it an ideal travel companion for quick overseas trips or extended stays abroad.
- Receive one year of Amazon Prime Student on Deserve after spending $500 in the first three billing cycles with your EDU card (Lifetime Value of $59).
- Earn 1% Cash Back on all purchases with your Deserve EDU Mastercard. Once approved, you'll automatically start earning cash back on all purchases.
- Feel secure with cell phone protection up to $600.
- No deposit required. No annual fees.
- No international transaction fees on purchases abroad so you can travel with confidence.
- No Social Security Number required for international students to apply.
- Refer A Friend Program: Refer anyone to Deserve using your personal referral code. Upon approval, card activation and use, you'll receive $30 and so will your referral. Referral bonuses are unlimited!
- Manage and track your spending, set automatic payments and securely freeze your card all through one easy to use app.
- See if you prequalify with no impact to your credit score in minutes.
- Deserve Mastercards are issued by Celtic Bank, Member FDIC.
- Enjoy Mastercard Platinum Benefits intended to make your life easier like Mastercard ID Theft Prevention™ and Master Rental®.
Even with a strong slate of premium features, Journey Student Rewards really shines by connecting cash back rebates to responsible credit card use. In addition to the 1% cash back common among many of today's best cash-back rewards cards, Journey Student Rewards will boost your cash back to a total of 1.25% each month for cardholders who pay their bills on time.
Your credit limit is determined by your creditworthiness and other factors. The good news is that this card offers automatic credit line reviews so you might qualify for an increase in as little as six months. So, if you get your credit card and it happens to have a lower limit than you expect, use your card responsibly and you could be eligible for a credit limit increase in no time.
|Current Scores||Past Scores (avg.)|
|Likelihood of Continuing to Use||6.8||8.4|
|Recommend to a Friend/Colleague||6.5||8.2|
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One vs. Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card is also a great card for students who are just starting out with credit. This card offers more in terms of rewards, but you'll also need to do a better job of keeping up with reward categories.
Cardholders earn 3% cash back on dining, entertainment, popular streaming services and at grocery stores (excluding superstores like Walmart® and Target®) as well as 1% on all other purchases. Additionally, earn 8% cash back on Capital One Entertainment purchases and tickets at Vivid Seats. For students, these might be the categories you end up spending the most on and to truly maximize the rewards here, you need to actually spend in these categories. Otherwise, you earn a flat 1%.
Finally, for a limited time, the SavorOne Student is offering $100 to new cardholders who spend at least $100 with the card in the first three months of opening an account.
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One vs. Discover it® Student Cash Back
If you're a student with fair to limited credit, you might consider the Discover it® Student Cash Back for building your credit. This card also awards one of the highest rewards rates for student cards. You'll earn 5% cash back each quarter in rotating categories such as gas, restaurants and online shopping on up to $1,500 spent each quarter (quarterly activation required), and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
Plus, Discover will match the cash back you earn at the end of your first year. With the opportunities to earn cash back on your spending, especially with that first-year match offer, you could end up racking up a good amount. This could be considerably more than you might earn with the Journey card.
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One vs. Capital One Platinum
The Capital One Platinum Credit Card is another card designed for those who are just starting out and don't have much credit. If you have fair or limited credit, you may qualify for this card, and through responsible card management, you'll be on your way to earning better credit. However, this card has no rewards program or special bonuses, so you won't earn anything extra using your card.
If you want to earn a little more with your purchases, you might be better off with the Journey card where you can earn as much as 1.25% cash back, when you make your payments on time.
So, should you try out the Journey Student Rewards from Capital One? You won't really be able to switch to Journey Student Rewards unless you're a student. This card is designed for students who are just starting out and might not have much of a credit score. For that reason, you can expect a fairly high APR (26.99% (Variable), to be exact), so it's important to make sure you pay off the balance each month.
Otherwise, if you're looking for a card to build your credit with, the Journey Student Rewards from Capital One is one of the best cash-back credit cards for students you'll find.
Survey Methodology: CardRatings commissioned Op4G in September and October 2021 to conduct surveys among 1,524 cardholders nationwide. CardRatings website analytics from Jan. 1, 2021-Aug. 31, 2021 were used to determine a selection of the most popular cards and additional cards were included to add survey breadth. Responses to each of nine questions were given on a scale of 1-10 and respondents' scores were then averaged under broad topics. To determine the overall score, responses from questions 1-8 were summed and the answer to "How likely are you to recommend this card to a friend, coworker or family member?" was double weighted. "Current Scores" reflect scores from the most recent survey; "Past Scores (avg.)" are the scores averaged over each prior year the card has been surveyed. "Past Scores" indicates a card has only been surveyed in one prior year.
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One Compared to Other Cash back Cards
Disclaimer: The information in this article is believed to be accurate as of the date it was written. Please keep in mind that credit card offers change frequently. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information in this article. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information. See the online credit card application for full terms and conditions on offers and rewards. Please verify all terms and conditions of any credit card prior to applying.
This content is not provided by any company mentioned in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed here are those of the author\'s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any such company. CardRatings.com does not review every company or every offer available on the market.