Discover it® Student chrome Review
Discover it® Student chrome
CardRatings Editor's Analysis: Pros & Cons
- The rare student card that offers cash-back opportunities: 2% back at restaurants and gas stations (up to $1,000 each quarter) and 1% back on all other purchases. Plus Discover will MATCH all the cash back new cardholders earn during their first year.
- Earn a $20 statement credit each year (for five years) your GPA is a 3.0 or higher.
- Once you are a cardmember, you can earn a statement credit for each friend you refer who is approved. Earn a $20 statement credit each year (for five years) your GPA is a 3.0 or higher.
- If you don't spend much on eating out or at gas stations, you could earn more cash back with a student cash-back card, such as Journey Student Rewards from Capital One that offers bonus cash back with no annual fee or foreign transaction fees.
What Discover Says About This Card
- INTRO OFFER: Unlimited Cashback Match - only from Discover. Discover will automatically match all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year! So you could turn $50 cash back into $100. Or turn $100 into $200. There's no minimum spending or maximum rewards. Just a dollar-for-dollar match.
- Earn 2% cash back at Gas Stations and Restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Good Grades Rewards: $20 statement credit each school year your GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next 5 years.
- Earn a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
- $0 introductory annual fee for one year, then $95.
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%).
- 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and on transit (including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more).
- 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
- Plan It® gives the option to select purchases of $100 or more to split up into monthly payments with a fixed fee.
- Cash Back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
- Terms Apply.
Discover it® Student chrome Essentials
College is an excellent time to learn about financial responsibility, and a student credit card is a great way to do that. Especially because for many, college can be a tough time financially, so using a rewards credit card during this time can be particularly useful. What student doesn't need cash back on purchases? Or their credit card company to know they're students and cater to them?
Discover it® Student chrome does just that. Some of the top features of this card include:
- 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter, automatically.
- 1% cash back on all other purchases and on gas station and restaurant purchases after you reach the quarterly cap.
- Earn a MATCH of all the cash back earned at the end of your first year (new cardmembers only).
- Get $20 statement credit each school year your GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to five years.
- Rewards are all yours and you can redeem them in any amount, at any time; they never expire.
What Our Editors Like Most about Discover it® Student chrome
The automatic cash-back rewards on gas and restaurants are what struck a chord with us first. With classes, schoolwork and socializing, college students are crazy busy and have enough to deadlines to remember without keeping up with a quarterly need to sign up for rewards. The Discover it® Student chrome removes that hassle from your to-do list. Cardholders earn 2% back on gas and restaurant purchases up to $1,000 each quarter, and 1% on everything else. Those 2% categories are perfect for the road-tripping college student or even just for quick weekend drives home to see Mom and Dad.
Another attractive feature is that all the cash back you earn in year one, will be matched. So not only will students get paid to buy everyday items, you'll see that cash back amount jump up at the end of the year. Think about, if you earn $150 in cash back in your first year, that will automatically become $300 at the end of that year.
What's another sticking point? Refer your friends and when they're approved, you can earn a statement credit. Plus, students can pay their bill up to midnight the day it's due - perfect for night-owl college kids who have been known to procrastinate from time-to-time (or at least, I seem to remember that from my days as a co-ed).
Potential Downsides of Discover it® Student chrome
While Discover it® Student chrome offers a ton of perks for college students, the low cash-back rates stand out as a downside, especially if you are a big spender in categories other than gas and restaurants. The difference between 1% and 5% up to the quarterly maximum offered by Discover it® Student Cash Back can add up fast. Having rotating categories allows you to plan your spending habits to maximize your rewards. If you enjoy higher rewards and spending strategically, the Discover it® Student Cash Back might be a better fit for you - as long as you're organized enough to handle the quarterly sign-ups.
How Discover it® Student chrome Compares to Other Student Cards
Discover it® Student chrome vs. Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students(This card is not currently available on CardRatings)
Neither have annual fees, but the Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students (Citi is a CardRatings advertiser) has bonuses that are attractive, such as earning 2,500 bonus ThankYou® Points after spending $500 within the first three months of your card membership. Similar to Discover it® Student chrome, the Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students offers two ThankYou® Points per $1 spent on purchases for dining at restaurants and entertainment, and one ThankYou® Point on other purchases. Points earned with this card do not expire.
Citi does not offer the matching cash-back offer or the $20 good GPA statement credit; additionally, if you do a lot of spending at gas stations, you're likely better off with Discover it® Student chrome.
Discover it® Student chrome vs. Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
Though the cash back isn't as high with the Journey Student Rewards from Capital One, you are financially rewarded for good behavior with a 25% boost in cash rewards if you pay on time, as well as the opportunity for a credit limit increase in as little as six months. You also get to choose your own due date.
Unfortunately, the Capital One Card does not offer your FICO score free, or let you use points at amazon.com checkout like Discover it® Student chrome.
Still, if you don't spend disproportionately on gas and restaurants (or perhaps you easily reach the cap in those categories and your cash back would revert to 1%), the Journey Student Rewards from Capital One could be a solid option for you with its opportunity to earn 1.25% on all your purchases as long as you pay on time.
This decision will come down to whether you think you'll maximize the rewards offered in the bonus categories with Discover it® Student chrome or if you prefer more flat-rate rewards.
Who Should Get This Card?
This card is designed specifically for students who don't have time to sign on to activate rewards every month. These students, however, spend money on food and gas, so having these categories offer bonus cash back if they use their Discover it® Student chrome card is ideal.
It's likely not the best choice for people who relish the opportunity to strategically use their credit cards to rack up maximum rewards in categories that change quarterly, but for the average college student it's an above-average option.