Not all Visa credit cards are created equal. Some are classified as Visa Signature cards, and these come with premium rewards and benefits.
While rewards can vary by card issuer, all Visa Signature cardholders typically get a bundle of perks that include things like travel benefits, purchase protections and access to special services and events. Best of all, it’s easy to access these benefits, and there is no additional cost to receive them.
If you’re still wondering what does Visa Signature mean or how to qualify for a Visa credit card, keep reading. We answer those questions and more below.
What is Visa Signature?
Visa Signature is the name Visa uses for its mid-tier credit cards. Visa Signature credit cards come with premium benefits that are a step above those offered on traditional Visa cards but not quite as generous as the perks of top-tier Infinite cards.
Benefits of a Visa Signature card
It’s up to the card issuer to decide which benefits to offer with their credit cards, but all Visa Signature cards are eligible to come with the following package of benefits:
Whether you are already traveling now or have plans for the future, Visa Signature offers comprehensive perks to keep you protected while flying and driving. Plus, cardholders have access to amenities such as airport lounges and hotel deals.
- Complimentary concierge services: As a Visa Signature member, you can get personal assistance for a concierge when making travel, dining or entertainment plans.
- Emergency assistance: Cardholders can have access to roadside dispatch, travel and emergency assistance services, emergency card replacement, emergency cash disbursement, emergency medical/dental and emergency evacuation.
- Travel-related protection: Visa Signature cards may include several travel insurance products and related services. These include auto rental collision damage waiver, lost luggage reimbursement, trip delay reimbursement, trip cancellation/trip interruption reimbursement, travel accident insurance, hotel theft protection and baggage delay reimbursement.
- Travel fee reimbursements: With your Visa Signature card, you may get reimbursed for a Global Entry application fee, checked luggage charges, in-flight food and more.
- Lounge access: Air travelers can enjoy VIP access to more than 850 global airport lounges using a complimentary Priority Pass membership.
- Travel experiences: Visa Signature cardholders have special guest status at more than 900 properties within the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection. They can also access special food and wine events throughout the year.
While travel benefits make up the bulk of the perks offered by Visa Signature, cardholders also receive valuable purchase protections. These include the following:
- Extended warranty protection
- Cell phone protection
- Price protection
- Return protection
- Purchase security
Discounts and memberships
Visa has also partnered with several companies to offer discounts and, in some cases, free memberships for services. For instance, benefits are currently available from these companies:
- Sofar Sounds
To access these and other offers, card members may need to enroll online and use their Visa Signature card for any payment required.
What’s the difference between Visa Traditional, Signature and Infinite?
Visa separates its cards into three tiers: Traditional, Signature and Infinite.
Traditional cards are Visa’s entry level credit cards while Signature cards are considered premium and Infinite cards represent the carrier’s luxury line of credit cards.
Traditional cards come with a basic set of benefits, and Visa Signature credit cards include all those benefits as well as additional premium perks.
Emergency Card Replacement
Emergency Cash Disbursement
Discounts and Memberships
Personal Concierge Service
Travel and Emergency Assistance Services
Travel Fee Reimbursement
Visa Infinite cards are less common and include all Signature Visa benefits plus card specific extras such as statement credits and bonus rewards. Visa also offers Infinite cardholders access to enhanced concierge services and an additional benefit when staying at a property within the Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection.
How do I know if my card is Visa Signature?
The easiest way to see if you have a Visa Signature credit card is to look at your physical card. It should say “Signature” under the Visa logo on the front. On some cards, you may find this wording on the back of the card instead.
Is Visa Signature accepted everywhere?
Visa Signature credit cards are accepted everywhere Visa can be used for payment. That means you can use your card almost anywhere credit cards are accepted. By some estimates, approximately 44 million merchants in 200 countries take Visa cards for purchases.
How to qualify for a Visa credit card
Since Visa offers dozens of different cards, your chances of qualifying for one are good, regardless of your credit score.
If you have a limited credit history or a fair to poor credit score, you’re most likely to be approved for a traditional Visa card. Options such as the CardName (Petal credit cards are issued by WebBank, Member FDIC; See Rates and Fees) and CardName are examples of accounts designed for those with no credit history or those who are rebuilding their credit scores.
To receive a Visa Signature credit card, you’ll need good or excellent credit, which typically means a FICO score of at least 670. However, a score in the 700s will make approval more likely, and excellent scores of 800+ should qualify applicants for almost any Visa card.
If your score is low, consider waiting to apply for a card and take the following steps:
- Commit to making timely payments.
- Stop charging new purchases.
- Pay down existing balances.
- Temporarily avoid opening any new lines of credit if possible.
All these steps should help boost your credit score which can, in turn, open the door to new Visa accounts.
Visa Signature credit cards
With premium perks and lucrative rewards, it’s not surprising that Visa Signature credit cards are some of the best available on the market today. Standout options on our best credit cards list include the following:
Of course, before applying for any card, check its fees and interest rates to make sure its costs are affordable to you. Plus, some cards may choose not to offer all Visa Signature benefits so read the fine print for details on perks and rewards as well.
Then, once you have your new card, don’t forget to take advantage of its many time and money-saving perks.