Guide to Citi ThankYou® Points
Our credit card articles, reviews and ratings maintain strict editorial integrity; however we may be compensated when you click on or are approved for offers (terms apply) from our partners. How we make money.
Many knowledgeable travelers have found the value in flexible rewards points programs. With multiple redemption options including travel transfer partners, gift cards and more, the Citi ThankYou® Points program is one of the best travel rewards options available today. Citi is a CardRatings advertiser.
One of the best benefits of the Citi ThankYou® Points program is that you have the ability to combine rewards earned with various Citi cards into a single account. This allows you to pool your points earned across the different Citi ThankYou® points cards into one account.
With the ThankYou® Points earning cards, combining your points is straightforward to understand. With the cash-back earning cards, like the Citi® Double Cash Card - 18 month BT offer , the cash back earned can be converted at 1 cent per point into Citi ThankYou® Points when combined with a ThankYou® Points earning card. For example, if you had the Citi® Double Cash Card - 18 month BT offer with $100 in cash back and a Citi Rewards+® Card you could convert the cashback on your Citi® Double Cash Card - 18 month BT offer to 10,000 ThankYou® Points in your Citi Rewards+® Card.
- Earn 15,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $1,000 in purchases with your card within 3 months of account opening.
- The Citi Rewards+® Card is the only card that automatically rounds up to the nearest 10 points on every purchase. Additionally, it earns 2X ThankYou® Points at supermarkets and gas stations for the first $6,000 per year and then 1 point per $1 spent thereafter. Plus, earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- $0 annual fee
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 15 months. After that, the APR will be 13.49% - 23.49% (Variable), based on your creditworthiness.
- Read our full Citi Rewards+® Card review.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening which is redeemable for $600 in gfit cards through thankyou.com.
- Earn 3 ThankYou® Points per $1 spent at restaurants and supermarkets.
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent on air travel, hotels and at gas stations.
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Receive a $100 annual hotel benefit when you book a single stay of $500 or more (excluding fees and taxes) one per calendar year.
- $95 annual fee
- No foreign transaction fees on international purchases
Citi Prestige® Card
(This card is not currently available on CardRatings)
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening which is redeemable for $500 in airfare on any airline, anytime with no blackout dates.
- Earn 5 ThankYou® Points per $1 spent on air travel and restaurants, 3 points per $1 spent on hotels and cruise lines, and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- $450 annual fee
- No foreign transaction fees
- Complimentary fourth night hotel stay at a hotel of your choice after a minimum four consecutive night booking through thankyou.com (up to two times each calendar year).
- Up to $250 travel credit every calendar year applied automatically to eligible travel purchases.
- Enjoy complimentary access to hundreds of VIP lounges through Priority Pass™ Select.
- Get a Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® application fee credit on your statement, up to $100 every 5 years, as a reimbursement of your application fee for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓.
- Read our full Citi Prestige® Card review.
- Earn 2% cash back on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases. (To earn cash back, pay at least the minimum due on time.)
- As long as you have a card that earns ThankYou® Points, you can convert your cash back earned to ThankYou® Points at a 1:1 rate.
- $0 annual fee
- 0% intro APR on balance transfers for the first 18 months (then, 13.99% – 23.99% (Variable))
- Read our full Citi® Double Cash Card - 18 month BT offer review.
- Gift cards. ThankYou® Points can be redeemed for gift cards at a wide variety of restaurants, retail shops, entertainment venues, etc. Points can be used for gift cards at locations including CVS, Target and Bed Bath & Beyond. However, ThankYou® Points redemptions for gift cards are not the best option as they average around only .8 cents per point in value.
- Citi travel portal. Points can be redeemed for a wide variety of travel options including airfare, hotel stays, car rentals, cruises and various travel experiences. The normal value of redemptions in this category for ThankYou® Points is 1 cent of value per point redeemed. For instance, with the Citi Prestige® Card, if you redeem 50,000 points in the Citi travel portal it will be worth $500 in travel credit.
- Shop with Points. ThankYou® Points can be redeemed and deducted directly at checkout on Amazon.com, PayPal valid retailers and Expedia.com with the Shop with Points feature. The Shop with Points feature can also be used on purchases at 1-800-Flowers and BestBuy.com where your purchase is initially fully charged to your credit card account and then the selected number of points are deducted from your ThankYou® account after 2-3 days as a statement credit.
- Cover recent purchases and bills. Eligible ThankYou® members can redeem points for statement credits to cover recent purchases on the Citi Mobile app or Citi online. Additionally, ThankYou® members who have an enrolled Citibank checking account can use ThankYou® Points or a combination of points and cash to pay bills using Citibank’s online bill pay feature.
- Points transfer. ThankYou® members with eligible Citi credit cards can transfer points to participating loyalty programs. The eligible cards that allow you to transfer points are the Citi Premier® Card and Citi Prestige® Card. There are 15+ transfer partners and the value of points can vary widely. The value of ThankYou® Points that are transferred to travel partners does provide the largest upside with the ability to redeem points for pricey business class or first class flights on international airlines, with redemptions that can far exceed 1 or 1.25 cents per point with the best alternative transfer options.
- Cash rewards. ThankYou® Points can be redeemed for cash in increments of $50 and $100 at a value of 1 cent per point.
- Payment toward mortgage. ThankYou® members can redeem points for a check toward their monthly mortgage payment in increments of as little as $25 and up to $1000.
- Charitable contributions. Points can be redeemed to help others, with options to redeem ThankYou® Points as a donation to the American Red Cross or Smile Train.
To get the absolute maximum value out of Citi ThankYou® Points, transferring ThankYou® Points to a travel rewards partner can provide the largest upside in points redemption. For instance, if you had 110,000 points with the Citi Premier® Card you could redeem that through the Citi Travel portal at a rate of $.01 per point for $1,100 in credit toward travel.
However, if you took that exact same 110,000 points and transferred them to Virgin Atlantic you could redeem those points for flights through Virgin or through one of their travel partners. One of Virgin Atlantic's travel partners is All Nippon Airways, which allows you to book round trip non-stop first class flights from the west coast of the USA to Tokyo for 110,000 points. With cash prices that usually exceed $15,000 for that exact same flight, you would be getting a value of around $.15 per point instead of $.01 per point.
There are downsides to transferring ThankYou® Points to travel partners. In some instances, the value you get with certain transfer partners and redemptions could be less than the $.01 per point that you can get through the Citi Travel portal. Another downside is the added complexity to having to transfer the points and find a redemption option through the travel partner. Lastly, once points are transferred to the partner it's non-reversible, so it's important to make sure you are clear on how you are planning to use the points before making a transfer.
- Aeromexico Club Premier
- Asia Miles
- Avianca Airlines Lifemiles
- Air France / KLM Flying Blue
- Emirates Skyward
- Etihad Guest
- EVA Air
- JetBlue Airways Trueblue
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich
- Qantas Airways Frequent Flyer
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- Shop Your Way® (retail partner)
- Singapore Airlines Krisflyer
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus
- Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Citi ThankYou® Points can expire, but the conditions of when they expire vary from card to card and are detailed in the card agreements or promotional materials for each card. For instance, with cards that earn ThankYou® Points directly like the Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige® Card or Citi Rewards+® Card, the points don’t expire as long as the card remains open. If you close your card, ThankYou® Points expire in 60 days. Another caveat to keep in mind is that if points are combined with another card, the shared points usually expire in 90 days after the transfer, so be sure to have a usage for those points before they expire.
When you redeem points, Citi will deduct your redemption from the bank of cards with the closest expiration date, as applicable.
Disclaimer: The information in this article is believed to be accurate as of the date it was written. Please keep in mind that credit card offers change frequently. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information in this article. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information. See the online credit card application for full terms and conditions on offers and rewards. Please verify all terms and conditions of any credit card prior to applying.
This content is not provided by any company mentioned in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed here are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any such company. CardRatings.com does not review every company or every offer available on the market.