Best credit cards for gas rewards of March 2021
Our credit card articles, reviews and ratings maintain strict editorial integrity; however we may be compensated when you click on or are approved for offers (terms apply) from our partners. How we make money.
If you're like most people in the U.S., hopping in your car to head to work, run errands or do your duty in the carpool lane is part of your everyday life. That means filling your tank up with gas probably is too. With that said, most of us could probably benefit from a credit card that specifically rewards gas station purchases, which is why we're bringing you our top picks for gas rewards credit cards from our partners. Filling the tank isn't the most glamorous of jobs, but we're willing to bet that earning cash back with one of these top gas rewards credit cards will make the job slightly less tedious.
And, by the way, if your side hustle happens to be driving for Uber or Lyft, you really can't afford to not have one of these cards in your wallet.
Why We Like It: The opportunity for high cash-back rewards – to the tune of up to 5% cash back – in a variety of categories is the appeal of this card. And, it just so happens, that gas station purchases have traditionally been one of those categories at least once a year.
- Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
- Earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase, 3% on dining at restaurants and drugstores, and 1% on all other purchases.
- You can earn a robust 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories you sign up for each quarter. This can add nicely if you are the type of credit card user who can keep track of rotating categories.
- Chase Freedom Flex℠ offers a 0% introductory offer for 15 months on purchases (then, 14.99% - 23.74% Variable). This can save quite a bit on interest.
- This card offers numerous travel benefits, including trip cancellation/trip interruption insurance, for your pre-paid, non-refundable passenger fares, if your trip is canceled or cut short by covered situations.
- You have to remember to activate quarterly categories to earn the bonus 5% cash back.
- What's more, the 5% cash back for these categories is capped at $1,500 in combined purchases every quarter.
- International travelers may want to use a different card when out of the country since this card charges foreign transaction fees.
Read our full Chase Freedom Flex℠ review.
Why We Like It: ThankYou® Points sometimes get overlooked in the world of rewards currencies, but these are valuable and flexible points with lots of redemption options. Plus, this card offers excellent rewards-earning for your gas station purchases as well as numerous other everyday purchases.
- Earn 60,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 3 Points per $1 spent at Restaurants and Supermarkets
- Earn 3 Points per $1 spent at Gas Stations, Air Travel and Hotels
- You can receive a $100 in hotel savings every year on a single stay of more than $500. That more than offsets your annual fee and
- Many everyday-type purchases earn three points per $1 spent, making this card an excellent choice for regular use.
- You'll save money when using this card while abroad as it doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.
- While there are a lot of everyday categories in which to earn top rewards, this rewards card doesn't always offer the best value when you redeem your rewards. There are is no extra value for redeeming through the proprietary portal, for instance, and the travel partners aren't really the most popular ones out there.
- Keep in mind that there is an annual fee to consider; it's reasonable, but it isn't worth it if you aren't going to more than offset it with your rewards and features. The annual hotel bonus, discussed in the above Pros, would more than do it if you can take advantage of that.
Read our full Citi Premier® Card review.
Why We Like It: Sure, this is a "best credit cards for gas rewards" article, but gas isn't the ONLY thing you buy. That's why a well-rounded rewards card – especially one that offers at least 1.5% back on ALL your purchases is worth a good look.
- Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase, 3% on dining at restaurants and drugstores, and 1.5% on all other purchases.
- This card has a stunningly lucrative rewards program that offers at least 1.5% cash back on every purchase and as much as 5% cash back on some of your purchases. That's tough to beat.
- There is an easily attainable $200 welcome bonus. Just spend $500 in qualified purchases within the first three months of opening an account.
- New cardholders receive an intro 0% APR for purchases for 15 months (then 14.99% - 23.74% Variable).
- There are a bunch of categories to keep up with if you want to maximize your rewards earning. Great for top rewards, not so great if you're just looking for something simple. That said, earning at least 1.5% cash back on every purchase certainly isn't bad.
- The $200 welcome bonus is relatively easy to earn, but it's not as lucrative as offers from other cards.
- There is a foreign transaction fee on this card, which is a drawback for anyone who travels internationally or makes purchases in a foreign currency regularly.
Read our full Chase Freedom Unlimited® review.
There's another no-annual-fee card in the Chase family that offers you up to 5% back on your gas purchases: Chase Freedom Flex℠ . With Chase Freedom Flex℠, you earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 spent when you activate in categories that rotate each quarter and, traditionally, gas purchases have been among the 5% bonus categories at least once each year. Chase Freedom Flex℠ doesn't charge an annual fee, but it does accumulate rewards as Chase Ultimate Rewards® points, which means you can pool your points from this card and its flat-rate cousin above.
Like the sound of 5% back on your gas purchases? Well, you should also consider adding Discover it® Cash Back to your wallet. This is another rotating categories card with which you earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 spent when you activate in categories that rotate each quarter. And, once again, gas has traditionally been a bonus category at least once a year. Carry this card as well as Chase Freedom Flex℠ and, assuming both feature gas as a bonus category in a given year, you could effectively earn 5% cash back on $3,000 in gas purchases annually. That adds up to a LOT of extra gas money. Take a look at the bonus categories for both cards.
Why We Like It: This is another option that earns rewards on all purchases; however, this card encourages responsible with its rewards system, which we appreciate. Citi is a CardRatings advertiser.
- Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases.
- To earn cash back, pay at least the minimum due on time.
- Balance Transfer Offer: 0% intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 13.99% - 23.99%, based on your creditworthiness.
- At 18 months the intro 0% APR period for balance transfers is one of the better offers on the market.
- A $0 annual fee is always a good place to start a relationship with any card.
- Citi® Double Cash Card offers a delightfully simple 2% cash on all purchases. You get 1% when you make the purchase and another 1% when you pay for them.
- This card offers neither a signup bonus nor an introductory interest rate for purchases.
- To qualify for the bonus cash-back rewards, you need to make at least the minimum payment, on time each month. We actually like this as it encourages good credit card habits, but if you can't make your payments on time you'll want to keep it in mind.
Read our full Citi® Double Cash Card - 18 month BT offer review.
Why We Like It: This card is a favorite for families thanks to its reward categories. In this case, you do have an annual fee after the first year to consider, BUT you can also earn an unlimited 3% back on your U.S. gas station purchases. That's in addition to 6% cash back on the first $6,000 spent annually at U.S. supermarkets and the rewards don't stop there. Keep reading! American Express is a CardRatings advertiser.
- Earn a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
- $0 introductory annual fee for one year, then $95.
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%).
- This card offers a whopping 6% cash back on grocery purchases at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 per year. That works out to a maximum of $360 in cash back on groceries alone. You can also earn unlimited 3% cash back on transit and gas purchases at U.S. gas stations.
- There is a nice introductory offer of 0% APR on all purchases for the first 12 months after card activation. After that, the rate is 13.99% - 23.99% Variable, based on your creditworthiness.
- There is an attractive welcome bonus that can be earned with even moderate spending. New cardholders can earn $300 once spending $3,000 in the first six months of opening an account.
- There is an annual fee to consider. If you don't plan to use the card regularly, it may be hard to offset this.
- This isn't the best card to travel abroad with as it charges a fee on foreign transactions.
Read our full Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express review.
Why We Like It: The opportunity to earn high rewards on your gas purchases plus earning rewards for other common everyday purchases make this card in a winner in our book. Plus, who doesn't like the idea of earning 4% back on your gas purchases (up to $7,000 spent annually) AND earning 2% cash back on your year's supply of ketchup?
- Discover one of Citi's best cash back rewards cards designed exclusively for Costco members
- 4% cash back on eligible gas for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter
- 3% cash back on restaurants and eligible travel purchases
- No annual fee with your paid Costco membership and no foreign transaction fees.
- You earn a robust 4% cash back on all gas purchases up to $7,000 in a calendar year.
- You also earn 3% cash back on restaurant and travel related purchases and 2% on purchases at Costco and Costco.com.
- While it's easy to accumulate cash back, it's only redeemed once a year and is done automatically, giving the cardholder very little control.
- Costco membership is required. While the card has no annual fee, you must pay for a Costco membership to apply.
Read our full Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi review.
Why We Like It: This is an easy choice with its top-tier rewards for gas station purchases. Add to that there's no annual fee and additional high rewards offered on your supermarket purchases and it's easy to see why we like this for a gas rewards card.
- $100 statement credit after spending $1,500 in purchase transactions within the first 90 days of account opening.
- Earn 5 points on gas purchases at the pump. Fuel purchases for airplanes and boats and made via inside store attendant receive 1 point per dollar spent.
- Earn 3 points on supermarket purchases (3 points/dollar spent)
- When it comes to cash back rewards on gas purchases, very few cards can match the PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature® Card. You earn five points (5%) on every dollar spent on gas at the pump (fuel for airplanes and boats and made in store via attendant earn one point per dollar spent). You also earn three points for every dollar spent on groceries.
- This card has a has a good ongoing interest rate, from 13.49% to 17.99% Variable APR, depending on credit worthiness.
- On top of everything else, PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature® has no annual fee
- The sign-up bonus is not something that will generate much excitement. You can earn a modest $100 statement credit after you spend $1,500 in the first 90 days of account opening.
- Access to this card is not easy. You need an excellent credit rating to be approved.
Read our full PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature® Card review.
Why We Like It: Solid rewards on your gas station purchases, but a number of other perks – including cellular phone insurance if you pay your cellular bill on the card – make this a good card for people who want to earn rewards at gas stations, but are looking for a little more as well. Plus, there's no annual fee. There is also a nice 0% intro APR for 12 months from account opening on purchases and qualifying balance transfers (fees apply), then a 14.49%-24.99% Variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee.
- Earn 20,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months - that's a $200 cash redemption value
- $0 annual fee and no foreign currency conversion fee
- Earn 3X points on eating out and ordering in
- New cardholders receive 20,000 bonus points - worth $200 in cash redemptions - after spending $1,000 in purchases within the first three months.
- Purchases in popular spending categories, such as travel, transit and streaming services, earn three points per dollar spent, triple the base rate of one point per dollar spent.
- Cardholders who pay their wireless bill using this card are eligible for cell phone protection should their phone be stolen or damaged.
- Cash redemption options are limited to $20 or $25 increments, depending on the withdrawal method chosen.
- If you've opened another Wells Fargo credit card within the past 15 months, you may not be eligible for the Propel card's 0% introductory APR or bonus point offer.
Read our full Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card review.
Why We Like It: This is an easy-to-understand rewards card that offers some additional perks that help it stand out. The gas rewards aren't necessarily sky-high, but its other features make this a card to keep in mind just the same. In particular, you'll receive cellular phone protection against covered damage or theft when you pay your cellular bill on your card.
- Earn a $150 cash rewards bonus after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash rewards on purchases
- 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and qualifying balance transfers, then a 14.49% to 24.99% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee
- In addition to earning 1.5% cash back on everyday purchases, cardholders receive 1.8% cash back when they use a qualified digital wallet, such as Apple Pay and Google Pay, during the first 12 months of opening an account.
- New cardholders receive a 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers (then 14.49%-24.99% Variable).
- By using your Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® card to pay your phone bill, you are eligible for up to $600 insurance protection on your cell phone ($25 deductible).
- After that 12-month bonus period and for any purchases not using Google Pay of Apple Pay, the cash back rate is just 1.5%. That's average but certainly less than many other cards.
- There is a fee for balance transfers, but this is standard for cards offering a 0% intro APR period.
- This card isn't ideal for international travel as it charges foreign transaction fees.
Read our full Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® card review.
(This card is not currently available on CardRatings)
Why We Like It: Use this card for routine maintenance like gas and car washes, as well as larger automotive repairs and purchases on tires, brakes, windshields, transmissions, and more!
- 6 months promotional financing on purchases of $199 or more
- No annual fee
- $0 fraud liability
- This is a niche card that serves an important purpose. You can use Sychrony Car Care™ to pay for scheduled maintenance or emergency repairs of $199 or more and pay 0% interest if you pay off the balance within six months.
- The card is accepted at more than 200,000 gas stations around the country.
- Sychrony Car Care™ has a $0 annual fee.
- The card is not accepted at vendors that are not gas stations or car repair shops
- Sychrony Car Care™ does not offer cash back or any other rewards program.
- The standard interest rate for the card is 29.99%. This applies to gas and other minor car-related purchases, repairs and maintenance under $199. And if you are unable to pay off the balance of a larger repair job within the six-month period, the interest rate is applied from the moment of your purchase.
Read our full Synchrony Car Care™ credit card review.
Why We Like It: A credit card that offers strong rewards on gas station purchases means your day-to-day commute and running around town could bring in some nice rewards, but what if you're planning on doing some driving in a more exotic locale? Many of the cards on this list, especially those without an annual fee, charge foreign transaction fees if you use them while abroad, so filling up that rental car during your vacation in Europe could cost more than you planned. This card, however, is foreign-transaction-fee free and still offers solid rewards-earning opportunities all with no annual fee.
- One-time $200 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus, cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- We like things nice and simple. This card offers a flat 1.5% cash back on every purchase. No caps, no categories, no expiration.
- There is no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee.
- This card offers several perks beyond the cash-back rewards. These include 24/7 concierge service, travel upgrades and purchase protection.
- The straightforward cash back earning of 1.5% on every purchase is great for simple rewards, but there are cards on the market with higher rewards on specific categories that you could maximize your rewards earning with.
- Paying no annual fee is great, but if you plan to use your card often, choosing an annual fee card that offers higher rewards might be worth it. With regular use, offsetting the fee shouldn't be too difficult.
Why We Like It: A no-annual-fee credit card offering solid cash back for your gas purchases as well as the opportunity to change up your cash back earning structure if you need to earn more in a particular category (from a list of six) in a given month. Plus, if you are a Preferred Rewards client with the bank, you can boost your cash back by 25%-75% more on every purchase depending on your tier.
- No annual fee
- $200 online cash rewards bonus after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn 3% cash back in the category of your choice, automatic 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs (up to $2,500 in combined choice category/grocery store/wholesale club quarterly purchases) and unlimited 1% on all other purchases
- Bank of America® Cash Rewards has a three-tiered cash back system. You choose a category each quarter to earn 3% cash back. These include gas, home furnishings, drug stores, online shopping and dining.
- You also earn 2% on all grocery purchases. There is a $2,500 cap on these combined 3% and 2% tiers each quarter. All other purchases earn 1%.
- You earn a nifty $200 online cash rewards bonus after you spend at least $1,000 in the first 90 days of account opening.
- The Bank of America® Cash Rewards cash back system is a bit complicated and you need to be on top of things to maximize your rewards. Attention to detail pays off.
- There is an added perk of earning an extra 25-75% cash back on each purchase, but this is only available to Preferred Rewards Members.
- This card charges foreign transaction fees which could really add up if you do a lot of travelling for business or pleasure overseas.
Read our full Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card review.
U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card
(This card is not currently available on CardRatings)
Why We Like It: Gas rewards are great, but what about all your other spending? This card allows you to CHOOSE where you'll earn top rewards (5% back) while also allowing you earn as much as 2% back on your gas purchases.
- Earn up to $550 cash back in the first year.
- $150 bonus after spending $500 in eligible net purchases within the first 90 days of account opening.
- 5% cash back on your first $2,000 in combined eligible net purchases ($100 per quarter) on two categories you choose. That adds up to $400 cash back!
- This card has a tiered rewards program which, if you take full advantage, can help you reel in some excellent cash back rewards. You choose two everyday categories each quarter to earn 5% cash back on your first $2,000 in spending. That can add up to $100 per quarter.
- You can also earn 2% cash back on one non-rotating category of your choice and 1% on all other purchases.
- This card features an easily achievable sign-up bonus. You can earn $150 when you spend just $500 in the first three months after account activation.
- You need to stay on top of your category choices each quarter. If you fail to chose your categories for a new quarter, you drop to the default of 1% cash back on all purchases.
- This card charges foreign transaction fees so it's not the best for traveling abroad.
Read our full U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card review.
Why We Like It: This is a perennial favorite credit card for families because of its lack of an annual fee and the ability to earn rewards on common purchases families make often, namely, those at gas stations and at supermarkets.
- Earn $200 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%).
- 2% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores.
- This is a great no-annual-fee alternative to the Blue Cash Preferred® card as it earns similiar rewards but doesn't charge an annual fee.
- Groceries and gas are purchases we all make frequently, so it just makes good sense to carry a card that rewards you for these things.
- Enjoy intro 0% APR for 15 months on purchases from the date of account opening, then 13.99% - 23.99% Variable.
- This card charges foreign transaction fees so it's not great for traveling abroad with.
- This also isn't a good card for overseas travel as bonus rewards are earned at U.S. supermarkets and U.S. gas stations - not gas stations or grocery stores abroad.
Read our full Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express review.
Why We Like It: Simple to understand rewards combined with a stellar bonus opportunity during your first year as a cardholder make this a solid choice for gas rewards (and restaurant rewards, too, for that matter).
- INTRO OFFER: Unlimited Cashback Match - only from Discover. Discover will automatically match all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year! There's no minimum spending or maximum rewards. Just a dollar-for-dollar match.
- Earn cash back on your next road trip with 2% cash back at Gas Stations and Restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem your cash back for any amount, any time. Cash rewards never expire.
- This card has a simple cash-back rewards program. You earn 2% cash back on dining and on purchases at gas stations (on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter). You earn 1% on all other purchases.
- Matching cash back for new cardholders is what sets Discover cards apart. The card will match, dollar for dollar, all the cash back you've earned during the first year you have the card.
- Discover It® Chrome cash-back rewards never expire and you can redeem them at any time and in any amount.
- The $1,000 combined quarterly spending cap on the 2% cash back category of dining and gas is low in comparison to other similar cards. If you tend to spend more in those categories, another card might be a better choice.
- While their reach is growing, Discover cards are still not as widely accepted as Visa and Mastercard cards. This is especially true outside of the United States.
Read our full review of Discover it® chrome.
Why We Like It: Small businesses need simplicity, and the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card offers it. Plus, it comes with a nice intro 0% APR period on purchases for 12 months (then, 13.24% - 19.24% Variable), and it does all that without charging an annual fee.
- Earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%. Cash back earned is automatically credited to your statement.
- From workflow to inventory to floor plans, your business is constantly changing. That's why you've got the power to spend beyond your credit limit with Expanded Buying Power.
- Just remember, the amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to us and other factors.
- This card offers a beautifully simple cash-back rewards program. You earn 2% cash back on your first $50,000 in eligible spending each year, then 1% on everything after that.
- A very nice introductory offer features intro 0% APR on purchases for 12 months, then 13.24% - 19.24% Variable. No interest for a year can have a big impact on your business' bottom line.
- Enjoy free car rental loss and damage insurance. If you and your employees rent cars frequently for business, you know how valuable this perk is.
- It should also be noted that this card offers "expanded buying power." This gives you the ability to spend beyond your credit limit. This is not an unlimited feature but if you have a major expense or an unforeseen emergency expense comes up, this could come in very handy.
- Getting approved for this card is not a slam dunk. You need good to excellent credit for approval.
- The is a fee on all foreign transactions or transactions in foreign currency. It's less than some cards but can still take a bite out your bottom line if you do a lot of traveling overseas for business.
Read our full American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card review.
Why We Like It: With 4% back on gas purchases up to $7,000 a year, this card is a must for any business who spends a lot of time on the road. Plus, it offers 2% back on Costco purchases, so it's also great for stocking up on supplies for the office.
- Discover the only business credit card designed exclusively for Costco members
- 4% cash back on eligible gas for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter
- 3% cash back on restaurants and eligible travel purchases
- Not only does this card reward you for gas and Costco purchases, but it offers bonus rewards on restaurant and select travel purchases too, making it a great option for many of your business needs.
- No foreign transaction fees means this card is also great for international travel.
- No annual fee.
- Reward certificates are issued once a year, so there's no option to redeem as you earn.
- You must maintain your Costco membership to receive and redeem the credit card reward certificate; so if your membership expires and is not renewed during your redemption period, you might miss out on your cash back bonus.
Read our full Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi review.
Why We Like It: Ink Business Cash® Credit Card is a great way to not only earn gas rewards but also cash back on all your other purchases. Designed for businesses, the card offers perks like free employee cards and travel and purchase services such as extended warranty protection and roadside dispatch.
- Earn $750 bonus cash back after you spend $7,500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services each account anniversary year
- Earn 2% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at gas stations and restaurants each account anniversary year. Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases
- For a small business owner, there is a lot to like about this card, starting with a robust 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent annually on office supplies (including computer, hardware, and software purchases), cellular, landline, internet and cable services. If you max out the benefit, that's $1,250 you can put back into your business.
- There is no annual fee, plus you can earn a healthy $750 bonus after you spend $7,500 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
- This card offers an introductory 0% APR on all purchases for 12 months, then 13.24% - 19.24% Variable. For a new business owner just starting out, avoiding interest payments for 12 months can be a huge benefit.
- This card charges foreign transaction fees. This might not seem like a lot but if you do a lot of traveling for business overseas, this can really bite into your bottom line.
- While the 5% cash back for office expenses and communications is excellent, the 2% cash back on dining and gas is less so. Other cards offer a higher rate of cash back in those categories.
Read our full Ink Business Cash® Credit Card review to learn more.
Why We Like It: If you're seeking simplicity, this might be the card for you. It doesn't bother with categories, tiered rewards or capped earnings. Instead, you get a flat cash back rate for gas and all your other purchases. Plus, it comes with nice benefits such as no foreign transaction fees, quarterly and yearly spending summaries and extended purchase protection.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus once you spend $4,500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 2% cash back for your business on every purchase, everywhere, no limits or category restrictions
- Purchase above your credit limit with no hassle and no over-limit fees
- Simple is a beautiful thing and when you are trying to juggle the responsibilities of running a business, keeping things simple is vital. The Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business rewards program is very simple. You earn an unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases.
- Better still? You can get additional cards for as many of your employees as you want, at no charge, and earn 2% cash back on all their purchases, too.
- This card does not charge fees on foreign transactions. This can be a big deal if you do a lot of traveling overseas for business.
- There is no annual fee the first year, but after that you will be charged $95 a year. Depending on your spending habits, this fee might make the card less attractive.
- Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business offers a chance to earn a $500 sign-up bonus. The reward is attractive but getting there will require some work. You need to spend at least $4,500 in the first three months after your card is activated, an average of $1,500 per month.
Read our full Capital One Spark Cash for Business review.
HOW TO COMPARE THE BEST GAS REWARDS CREDIT CARDS
It's easy to find gas credit cards. You probably see ads or applications at the pump every time you fill up. But don't apply for just any card. Be sure you are selecting one that will provide great rewards without high fees or restrictions.
When it comes to comparing the best credit cards for gas, ask yourself these questions:
- What are the credit score requirements? Some cards are open to most applicants while others are limited to only those with very good or excellent credit.
- Where can I earn rewards? You may need to fill up at specific gas stations to get rewards from a co-branded credit card. However, general purpose cash-back cards typically provide rewards regardless of where you buy fuel.
- Are there restrictions on rewards? Scan the fine print to look for limitations. In particular, check whether rewards are capped and note if all purchases at a station, not just fuel, will earn rewards.
- What fees come with the card? The interest rate is most important if you plan to carry a balance. Otherwise, look for the annual fee, cash advance fee and balance transfer fee. If you plan to use the card while traveling, also check whether it has a foreign transaction fee.
ARE GAS CREDIT CARDS WORTH IT?
As with any product, it depends. If you don't have a car and always ride the bus, then, no, it's probably not worth it to apply for a gas card. If you drive a lot, however - maybe you have a daily commute, or you have kids and feel like a part-time chauffeur - then, yes, gas credit cards are definitely worth applying for. With a gas credit card you're going to save money on gas. And if you wind up using your gas card on already discounted fuel that you get from, say, the supermarket you frequent, you can make out even better.
That said, pay attention to whether the card has an annual fee. If it does, it still may be worth it, but you'll want to crunch some numbers and get a sense of how much you're going to save every year in gas. If you estimate that you drive enough that you'll save $50 a year for a gas credit card, but the credit card has an annual fee of $95, then clearly this isn't a great deal. On the other hand, if you believe you'll save around $300 a year at the pump, suddenly the $95 fee doesn't look so bad.
Also, you'll want to take a look at the other rewards, if any, you get for using the gas credit card. If you get cash back or points for other purchases, like grocery shopping or purchases on Amazon, you probably have found a winner.
HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR GAS CREDIT CARD
Once you have your gas credit card, it's time to maximize your rewards.
Start by signing up for your local gas stations' loyalty rewards programs. These include but are not limited to Fuel Rewards from Shell, Speedy Rewards from Speedway and Driver Rewards from BP. The details for every program vary, but they generally allow you to earn points or fuel discounts on top of what is offered by your gas credit card.
Then, make sure you are filling up at gas stations which are eligible for rewards. For instance, make sure purchases at stations attached as retailers such as Walmart and Costco will qualify as fuel, not grocery, purchases on your card.
Finally, if in-station purchases qualify for rewards, consider buying gift cards or other items there to make the most of your gas credit card.
To see the rates and fees for the cards featured in this post, please visit the following links: Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express (See Rates and Fees); Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express (See Rates and Fees); American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card (See Rates and Fees)
Disclaimer: The information in this article is believed to be accurate as of the date it was written. Please keep in mind that credit card offers change frequently. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information in this article. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information. See the online credit card application for full terms and conditions on offers and rewards. Please verify all terms and conditions of any credit card prior to applying.
This content is not provided by any company mentioned in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed here are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any such company. CardRatings.com does not review every company or every offer available on the market.