Q: Which cards offer rental car insurance?
Most credit cards offer some form of secondary car insurance, often covering the deductible from your personal automobile insurance. If you want your credit card to provide primary car insurance, e.g. if you don't carry your own driver's policy, or if you want a credit card that will cover the full cost of a damaged or stolen rental vehicle, then read on.
According to AutoSlash co-founder Jonathan Weinberg, no credit card automatically covers the entire cost of fixing or replacing your rental car. Lenders offer varying degrees of secondary auto insurance, meaning they'll pay for the deductible from your existing driver's policy. If you'd prefer not to file a claim with your own insurance company, check if your card issuer offers extra services.
Remember that credit cards only cover loss and collision damage. You'll need your own insurance to cover liability claims related to any damage or injury you might cause while behind the wheel of a rented vehicle. Verify the terms of your credit card agreement and your car rental policy before you hit the road.
- Are there any credit cards that cover emergency medical bills overseas?
- I've been asked many times to upgrade my American Express card to platinum. I am especially interested in their companion ticket perk.
- About two years ago, I went through Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Will I be eligible for an American Express again?
- I was Christmas shopping and went to the counter to check out and my credit card wouldn't work. Discover turned it off! I had made too many transactions. Should I be angry? I lost all my Christmas gifts.
- I'm looking for the best credit card offer with benefits of extended warranty, price protection, purchase assurance, and satisfaction guarantee.
- Which travel credit cards offer airline club membership?
- I pay off my bill every month. I really want miles for travel. What card is best for that without blackout dates?
- Can you explain the difference between chip-and-pin and chip-and-signature?
- If you purchase a cell phone with a credit card, does any credit card have cell phone insurance included?
- I'm in the military. Are there any credit cards that give military personnel benefits?
- I'm on the road a lot. I don't want to max out my card and not be able to make purchases. Which card is best for me?
- I have a Citi Platinum Select Card and would like to apply for either the Citi Diamond Preferred Card or the Citi Dividend Card. Will already having a Citi Card hurt my chances of getting another Citi Card?