Ask the expert

Add captcha
Enter the text shown above:

My ex-wife opened credit card accounts with my social security number and my forged signature. How can I get these accounts off my credit report?

By , CardRatings contributor
  • Google +
  • Twitter
  • Facebook

You may not like this answer, but what you are describing your ex doing is a crime. It's called identity theft.

You really have two paths here. One, if you're on speaking terms, confront your ex, and insist that she pay off the debt as soon as possible (and I hope you've cancelled the credit cards, in the meantime). If she does that, it hurts your credit score, but at least you have your money back, and it may be the way to go if you don't want to take the second route.

The second route is you go to the police or, better yet, get a lawyer, who will likely suggest you sue her in court. (I'm assuming that you're a stand-up guy, and that this isn't a case where she's caring for your kids, and you're thousands of dollars behind on child support, and she decided that this was the only way she could get money from you. Still, even if that were the case, it doesn't change the fact that her alleged actions are illegal.)

As for getting those credit card accounts off of your report, you'll have to contact the three credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. If you can prove that your ex-wife opened these accounts without your knowledge, they'll remove the accounts. Proof, of course, might be difficult to establish. But if you take your wife to court and the judge rules in your favor, you can send your court documents to the three credit bureaus with a letter explaining what happened, and I suspect that within a few months, those credit cards will be off your report.

And, of course, this doesn't address the fact that if you or your ex-wife are not at least making the minimum payments on these credit cards, your credit score is going to start plummeting -- and it's probably gone down already since you're carrying more debt and have more credit lines open than you once did. So I would get this fixed and fast.

No matter what you do -- try to collect from her, take her to court, or do nothing and hope for the best, you're in for a long slog, and I don't envy you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

0 Responses to "My ex-wife opened credit card accounts with my social security number and my forged signature. How can I get these accounts off my credit report?"

No Comments

Leave a Comment
About Our Ratings ×

Our editors rate credit cards objectively based on the features the credit card offers consumers, the fees and interest rates, and how a credit card compares with other cards in its category. Ratings vary by category, and the same card may receive a certain number of stars in one category and a higher or lower number in another.

The ratings are the expert opinion of our editors, and not influenced by any remuneration this site may receive from card issuers.

Advertisers in our database are highlighted, and advertisements include an option to apply using links on our site. CardRatings.com may be compensated by companies mentioned on the site when a user's application is accepted or approved by such companies.

How do your cards stack up?

Compare your card starting here


Featured Partner Cards