MasterCard wants to treat cardholders to "priceless" experiences in New York and other cities around the world with the debut of a new loyalty program. Company officials told reporters they intended to launch a series of city-specific websites offering special access to special events and performances reserved exclusively for MasterCard customers. For its first featured city, New York, MasterCard designed rewards that cater to locals and city visitors alike.
The Priceless New York website works much like discount group buying websites, with special offers posted in each of six categories:
- Culinary: Events include special meals from chef Josh Ozersky and barbecue master Paul Kirk.
- Sports: Cardholders can gain access to special events at Yankee Stadium and at TPC golf courses.
- Music & Entertainment: MasterCard offers advance tickets to select Jazz at Lincoln Center concerts.
- Shopping: World Elite Cardholders can reserve private tours of FAO Schwartz.
- Travel & About Town: World Elite MasterCard accounts can unlock overnight stays at the Bronx Zoo.
- Arts & Culture: Cardholders can enjoy discounts on walking tours and access to private, urban gardens.
Three levels of credit card rewards
At the time of the launch, Priceless Cities offers three tiers of rewards: free tickets or merchandise, premium experiences and meals available for a fee, and "exceptional experiences" restricted to MasterCard World Elite Members. While cardholders can book many of the reward experiences directly on the Priceless New York website, some offers provide a discount code redeemable directly at partner websites or at participating venues.
In a statement to reporters, MasterCard chief marketing officer Alfredo Gangotena called the new program an "evolution" of the brand's celebration of "priceless moments" into opportunities for "priceless experiences." Gangotena said, "I personally am proud to launch this program here in New York, my hometown and one of the greatest cities in the world."
Celebrity sightings alert
Gangotena revealed plans to unveil the new program with a launch event on Military Island in Times Square, featuring appearances by Food Network personality Aaron Sanchez and Yankee great Joba Chamberlain. MasterCard's Priceless Cities promotion joins a wave of similar experience-themed rewards campaigns from American Express, Visa and Discover, designed to instill deeper loyalty to each credit card brand.