Q: I have a credit score of 790 and can't seem to get approved for a Capital One card. What do you think the problem is?
I suggest you call Capital One and speak with a customer service rep. Go as far up the management chain as you have to to get a response. This is the most straightforward way to determine the cause. But having said that, you may or may not get a satisfying response.
Next, get your free credit report and a current FICO score. There could be an error on your credit report that's affected your score. If this is the case, follow the necessary steps to remove the error and let Capital One know about the discrepancy.
There's also the possibility that there's something disturbing on your credit report that isn't an error, and this is causing your application to be denied. Is it possible you've made a late payment in recent months and this is causing concern with Capital One? Another possibility is that if you've applied for a lot of credit recently, Capital One may have seen that as a sign that you're somehow desperate for credit and really need financial help. This sets off alarm bells with issuers.
If after following through on these steps Capital One still rejects you, remember they're not the only issuer out there. With your excellent credit, I think you can find a card from another issuer that will satisfy your needs.
- I want to apply for a Capital One no annual fee card with points but I also want to do a balance transfer. If I apply for the points card, do they send BT offers once you have the card in hand?
- Is Capital One a good credit card to have?
- Which Capital One credit card is the best for accruing air miles the fastest?
- Is there such a thing as too many credit cards?
- I have some medical bills that have been turned over to a credit collector and my credit score is 640. Am I eligible for a credit card for travel?
- I have a credit score of 680. Can I apply for a credit card?
- Credit Card Company Secrets: 5 Things "They" Don't Want You to Know
- My Credit Score Is 723. Is That Good or Bad?
- 5 Common Mistakes That Can Cripple Your Credit Score
- Which banks still offer secured credit cards?
- What's the minimum FICO credit score needed to qualify for an American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card?