American Express is a CardRatings.com advertiser.
American Express consumer cards are usually offered to people with excellent credit. But some American Express cards are known to be a little more lenient. If you have your own business, the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express OPEN is offered to people with "good credit."
I also have a feeling that American Express--given that they are kind of the gold standard when it comes to specializing in cards for people with truly stellar credit--may have a different definition of "fair credit" than most consumers. We often tend to think our credit is a little better or a little worse than it actually is.
Determining the difference between "good" and "excellent" can be kind of difficult, of course, and depends not just on your credit score but on your overall credit history.
You may have "good" credit if you carry some revolving debt but nothing too outrageous and you generally pay your bills on time, but may have been late once or twice in the last couple of years. In that case, if you are a business owner you may consider applying for that American Express card. The worst that can happen is they'll say no.
But if you're using more of your revolving debt than you should, and you've been late more often than not, but all in all, you're holding your own, you may indeed have "fair" credit. If that's the case, I think it's going to be pretty hard to find an American Express credit card at this time - unless you're willing to consider one of the prepaid cards that American Express has recently started offering.
If you're looking for a personal credit card for individuals with fair credit, and you don't mind that they're not from American Express, I'd recommend you take a look at either the Capital One® QuicksilverOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card or the Capital One® Platinum Credit Card or both from Capital One.
- Are there any credit cards that cover emergency medical bills overseas?
- About two years ago, I went through Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Will I be eligible for an American Express again?
- My co-workers all have American Express, but I end up buying lunch because not many places accept their cards. Any good alternatives?
- I have a credit score of 650 and need to re-establish my good credit. I won't carry a balance. Please advise regarding the credit card I can qualify for.
- "Your credit card has been declined…"
- Can you enter household income where it says annual income on a credit card application?
- Should you pay your utility bill with a credit card if you can?
- Flying high: Best airline rewards credit cards