Editor's Note: Thank you for your interest, this offer expired and is no longer available.
Discover has announced a new promotion giving cardholders a chance to earn more cash back plus more ways to spend that cash back as well. The company announced in a press release that from April 1 to June 30, 2012, cardholders can register to receive an extra 5 percent Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 worth of purchases at restaurants and movie theaters. In addition, during the month of May, grocery store purchases up to $300 are also eligible to receive 5 percent cash back. New retail partners were also announced.
The Cashback Bonus offer has been a regular promotion, with a different segment of industry highlighted each quarter. Cardholders can register at Discover.com to receive the additional bonus on eligible purchases during specific months.
After the current promotion ends, Discover's planned Cashback Bonus categories are gas, movies and entertainment from July to September 2012, and holiday shopping (such as department stores and electronics stores) from October to December 2012.
Cashback Bonus is the Discover Card rewards program, with a number of redemption options for cardmembers:
- Redeem the cash back bonus when shopping on Amazon.com
- Get a direct deposit in a bank account
- Opt for a statement credit to the cardholder's Discover account
- Redeem bonuses for travel getaways, which can include hotel nights and attraction tickets
- Receive gift cards from one of the company's retail partners, including new partner additions Domino's Pizza, QVC, Under Armour, Aerie and 77 Kids
For customers to receive the bonus cash back, purchases must be made at businesses classified in the correct category. For instance, grocery stores must be stand-alone stores and supermarkets. Convenience stores, gas stations, warehouse clubs, supercenters and discount stores are not eligible for the bonus cash back offer.