Introducing the Hilton HHonors Surpass Card
Written by Joe Taylor Jr.
Posted On: March 12, 2009
Editor's Note: Thank you for your interest, this offer expired and is no longer available.
Fans of Hilton Hotels can enjoy even more travel perks when carrying the new Hilton HHonors Surpass Card from American Express. In return for a $75 annual fee, Cardmembers enjoy an enhanced selection of member privileges, your Priority Pass membership grants you access to over 600 airport lounges in over 100 countries around the world. and discounted car services. American Express spokesperson Mona Hamouly answered some of the most common questions about the new card.
What is the Surpass Card?
The Hilton HHonors Surpass Card is a co-branded card for consumers that offers added value, flexibility, and unique benefits for Cardmembers who are loyal to the Hilton Family of Hotels. The card puts Cardmembers on the fast track to earning free nights at more than 3,000 Hilton Family hotels around the world, reward travel with more than 55 airline partners, elite status in the HHonors program, and other valuable rewards.
How can the Surpass Card help consumers?
The Hilton HHonors Surpass and Hilton HHonors Cards were created to offer loyal and frequent Hilton Family customers a choice of co-branded cards that provides them with preferential treatment when staying at a Hilton Family Hotel.
What are some of the Surpass Card's most notable features?
The Hilton HHonors Surpass Card provides Hilton Family loyalists with a greatly enhanced travel experience that includes special perks and privileges, such as:
- Complimentary standard membership in Priority Pass, which gives Cardmembers access to more than 600 airport lounges worldwide.
- Discounted car service benefit with EmpireCLS Worldwide Chauffeured Services.
- Complimentary HHonors Gold VIP status for first year, and then maintain Gold VIP status with annual spend of $20,000.
- HHonors Diamond VIP status with annual spend of $40,000 or more, which can provide a 50% bonus on all HHonors Base points earned, room upgrades (subject to availability), access to Executive Floor lounges where available and much more.
- 12 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points for every eligible $1 spent at participating Hilton Family hotels worldwide.
- 6 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points for every $1 of eligible purchases at U.S. stand-alone supermarkets and on gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations.
- 3 HHonors Bonus Points for each dollar of other eligible purchases.
- Earn 40,000 Hilton HHonors "welcome bonus" points with your first eligible purchase made within one year from when the account was opened.
- Earn 20,000 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points, after your first $3,000 in eligible purchases with the Hilton HHonors Card from American Express made within 90 days of account opening.
What kind of cardholder would get the most from this card?
The Hilton HHonors Surpass Card from American Express is designed to meet the evolving needs of Hilton Family loyalists and consumers who value travel rewards.
Is the Surpass Card right for all consumers?
We know that different consumers have different needs, which is why we are so focused on offering choice. One of the things we know about our Cardmembers is that travel is an important part of their lifestyles and they find a great deal of value in travel rewards, especially in this economy. The Hilton HHonors Surpass Card and Hilton HHonors Card were created to offer more choice and premium benefits to Hilton Family loyalists and consumers who value travel rewards.
What are some potential pitfalls of the card, if any?
Again, different cards come with different features that suit various financial and lifestyle needs, so it's important that consumers choose credit cards that offer the types of rewards they value most. For someone who has an affinity to Hilton Family hotels or hotel rewards in general, The Hilton HHonors Surpass Card offers them one of the fastest ways to earn HHonors bonus points. It also exclusively offers complimentary standard membership in Priority Pass and the ability to earn Hilton HHonors' coveted Diamond VIP status with an annual spend of $40,000, which provides room upgrades when available, access to Executive Floor lounges,where available, a 50% bonus on all HHonors Base points earned, and much more.
Might Cardholders expect to pay any other charges for redeeming points or for using the card's other benefits?
There are no fees or charges associated with redeeming points for stays at Hilton Family hotels. The Complimentary Priority Pass Standard Membership grants Cardmembers access to more than 600 airport lounges in 100 countries. Cardmembers pay a discounted visit fee of $27 per person per visit following the first year.
How can existing Hilton HHonors members request a Surpass Card?
Please visit their web site for more information about the Hilton HHonors Surpass Card from American Express, including terms and conditions (Terms and Restrictions apply).
You can find more travel rewards credit card offers on CardRatings.com.