Discover Card Offers Holiday Bonus Rewards
Written by Mike Killian
Posted On: December 12, 2008
Editor's Note: This offer is no longer available. Click here for an updated list of cards from Discover
Editor's Note: This article is part of a popular Q & A format series in which we interview experts and industry professionals that have made significant contributions to the credit card industry.
I have written quite a few articles about Discover Card. That really isn't too amazing considering that the company's innovative style provides ample material for writers. And so allow me to paraphrase Ronald Reagan's immortal words, "Here we go again, Discover Card".
This time Discover Card is offering a $20 gift certificate just for using the card. You will be holiday shopping anyway. Why not gain an extra $20 bucks in the process? I caught up with Discover's Financial Services Marketing--Internet Acquisition representative, Polina Demidova, and asked her a few questions about this program.
Mike: Polina, can you tell me a little about this program?
Polina: Yes I can. Basically, consumers can turn receipts into rewards. They get a $20 Discover Gift Card just for shopping with their Discover Card. They will receive a $20 Discover Gift Card for every $200 they spend on their Discover Card at over 160 participating malls nationwide. They can make the most of pre- and post-holiday sales with Discover's longest redemption period yet.
They can use their Discover Card at any store in a participating mall. (The Web site offers a list of participating malls.) The cardholders then collect their receipts prior to Jan. 4, 2009. Up to 5 gift cards are allowed any consumer when they bring receipts totaling $200 or more to a mall customer service representative.
Mike: This is a great program. Is this new and is there a time restriction for this program?
Polina: This is not a new promotion for Discover. We have been offering it to our card members around the holiday season every year for the past few years. This year the promotion runs from November 1, 2008 through January 4, 2009.
Mike: Besides the obvious $20 certificate are there other awards the reader should be aware of?
Polina: We also currently offer the following promotions to our Card members in addition to the $20 gift certificate:
- 5% Cash-back bonus at grocery stores, restaurants, movie theaters and movie rentals. Just pay using your Discover Card and earn a 5% cash back bonus on up to $400 from these type of purchases from October 1 through December 31.
- 5% to 20% cash back bonus at over 100 top online retailers through our exclusive online shopping site
You can learn more about these programs at Discover Card Brighter. That site lists all features and benefits of each promotion.
Even if you don't have time to take advantage of this program this year, keep Polina's suggestions in mind. You can bank on Discover coming back next year with similar or even better programs.
- Are Discover Card credit cards any good?
- Which bank offers the best debit card?
- Is a credit score of 725 considered good?
- Why do you rate American Express credit requirements as "good credit" to secure a card? I thought to qualify for an American Express card you have to have excellent credit.
- Supposing you have a perfect credit score of 800 or better; which credit card offers the highest credit limits?