1. Credit cards offer more consumer protection than debit cards and are great particularly for larger purchases, such as big ticket items.
2. Consider using a one time or temporary use credit card number for extra security.
3. Most credit cards offer free extended warranty coverage; typically up to an additional year.
4. A few premium type cards offer holiday price protection where if you find a lower price on something that you buy after the fact, then you can get a refund for the difference in price!
5. Look for holiday promotional offers from your card company. Discover for example, often runs specials for the holidays.