Add Captcha
Enter the text shown above:
Added August 28, 2012 from: Joe Taylor Jr.
Rate now
Average Rating
Answered By Joe Taylor Jr.:

Welcome! We're happy to have you south of the border. Well, our border, anyway. You've already discovered one challenge for guest workers and legal immigrants: with no credit report in the United States, you're a mystery to credit card issuers and other consumer lenders. Thankfully, I can offer two sources for a basic credit card that will help you manage your spending here in the U.S.A.

With a so-called "thin" credit file, you won't get much traction on your quest for personal credit. Even if you have accounts with Canadian companies that maintain a presence in the United States, those firms' American divisions act independently of their home offices.

Bank of America and Wells Fargo both offer secured credit cards for less than $40 a year. They'll carry interest rates much higher than you might be used to. By placing a few hundred dollars on deposit, and handling your account responsibly, for example, by paying on time, you can get a positive trade line on your credit report that you can use to get an unsecured credit card in about a year.

This question is about:  Build / Rebuild Credit
0 Responses to "I am new to the U.S. (from Canada where I have excellent credit) and trying to build my credit. I got rejected applying for a normal card and I’m looking to get a card that I am sure I will get accepted. What do you recommend?"

No Comments

Leave a Comment
Related Questions:
Most Recent Questions:
Most Popular Questions:
Related Articles:
How to find the best Cash Back credit card?
Top articles from Joe Taylor Jr.