Q: I will be traveling in South America: Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, and Ecuador, for up to five months. What is the best credit card for me?
A: Even though merchants overseas now accept credit cards in record numbers, your off-the-beaten-path itinerary means you'll need an easy way to access extra cash along the way. Based on where you're heading, I can suggest a few travel rewards credit cards that should save you some cash:
Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card. One of the best travel rewards card on the market, Venture® frees you from loyalty to any specific airline or hotel chain. If you can get secure online access from a hotel or internet cafe during your trip, you can even make same-day payments from a linked checking account to cover unexpected expenses. With no foreign transaction fee and access to a robust ATM network, you can shave a few percentage points from your trip budget.
LANPass Visa Signature Card from US Bank. If you think you'll visit this part of the world again, consider an airline credit card connected to the region's most prominent carrier. US Bank issues a few different versions of this card, but the Visa Signature carries the best signup bonus. You'll also get a 20 percent discount on the first LAN itinerary you purchase each year, for up to $1,000 in savings before you even leave town. LAN will even give you three one-way upgrade vouchers, so you can stretch out during your long flights to and from South America.
You'll get slightly more flexibility from a Visa card in South America than with the other three major payment networks. In addition, both of the Visa Signature cards on this list carry customer service and emergency teams that rival American Express's global travel specialists.
- Which travel credit cards offer airline club membership?
- I've been asked many times to upgrade my American Express card to platinum. I am especially interested in their companion ticket perk.
- I pay off my bill every month. I really want miles for travel. What card is best for that without blackout dates?
- Know Your Credit Card Foreign Transaction Fee BEFORE You Travel
- Best credit cards for new college grads
- Target Discontinues Visa Credit Card
- About two years ago, I went through Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Will I be eligible for an American Express again?
- Chase boosts British Airways Visa offer with 100,000 bonus miles