Q: I'm a student with fair credit. What student credit card do you recommend?
I'm a student with fair credit. What student credit card do you recommend?
The Discover�� Student Card is an excellent credit card. We like this card so much we gave it our 5-star Editor's Rating. And you only need a fair credit rating to be considered for a card. Now, this is assuming you're over twenty-one or have proof of sufficient income to repay your debts. Under the CARD Act, if you're under 21 and lack a steady (and sufficient) income, you must get a co-signer.
There's a zero percent introductory APR and the regular APR is pretty good for a rewards student credit card--although it varies depending on your credit history. You get a 5 percent Cashback�� Bonus in rotating categories, such as gas and restaurants. And, yes, that means more money in your pocket for pizza.
You also get a one percent cash back bonus on virtually everything else you need for college, from textbooks to toothpaste. A word of caution, though. Pay your bills on time because the penalty APR is steep.
- Credit Card Company Secrets: 5 Things "They" Don't Want You to Know
- My Credit Score Is 723. Is That Good or Bad?
- 5 Common Mistakes That Can Cripple Your Credit Score
- Which banks still offer secured credit cards?
- What's the minimum FICO credit score needed to qualify for an American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card?